College of Sister Formation Records
Scope and Contents note
Seattle University offered baccalaureate degrees to four religious orders of women in Washington and British Columbia: the Sisters of Providence (FCSP), the Sisters of St. Joseph of Newark (CSJ ), and the Dominican Sisters (OP) of Edmonds and Tacoma. This collection contains correspondence, documents relating to faculty contracts, compensation and tenure, curriculum reports, accreditation and self evaluation reports, minutes, and miscellaneous issues of the Sister Formation Bulletin.
- Majority of material found within 1957 - 1967
- Seattle University. College of Sister Formation (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access note
The collection is open for research.
From 1957 through 1967 Seattle University offered academic preparation to four religious orders of women in Washington and British Columbia: the Sisters of Providence (FCSP), the Sisters of St. Joseph of Newark (CSJ ), and the Dominican Sisters (OP) of Edmonds and Tacoma. The Secretary of the Sacred Congregation of Religious at the Vatican termed Seattle University's contribution to the Sister Formation movement in the United States "a notable pioneer effort." Women were taught by faculty on the Seattle University campus in planned sequences of philosophy, theology, and psychology with an area major in the social sciences to prepare them to meet the needs of the modern apostolate. In 1961, a new self-contained campus was built on a 243 acre tract near Pine Lake in Issaquah, WA and became known as Providence Heights College.
2 Linear Feet (2 boxes)
Language of Materials
The records of the College of Sister Formation document a baccalaureate degree program (1957-1967) offered at Seattle University to four Catholic religious orders of women.
- Colleges and Universities
- Congregation of Saint Thomas Aquinas (Tacoma, Wash.)
- Nuns -- British Columbia.
- Nuns -- Education -- Washington (State) -- Seattle
- Nuns -- Washington (State) -- Seattle
- Seattle University. College of Sister Formation
- Sisters of Charity of Providence
- Sisters of Providence (Seattle, Wash.)
- Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace (Newark, N.J.)
- Guide to the College of Sister Formation Records
- Mary Linden Sepulveda
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Funding for preparing the finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
Part of the Seattle University, Lemieux Library and McGoldrick Learning Commons, Special Collections Repository
901 12th Avenue
Seattle WA 98122-1090 USA