Seattle University Athletics Department Trophies, Awards, and Memorabilia
Scope and Contents note
This eclectic collection consists of awards presented in recognition of a variety of Seattle University athletic programs, including: baseball, basketball, cheerleading, diving, golf, skiing, soccer, swimming, tennis, and track and field. Event, date, recipient name(s) and, occasionally, names of sponsors and donors are inscribed on some of the objects. Also included are game balls, team jerseys, certificates, placards, team photographs, and banners. The collection is not comprehensive.
- Majority of material found within 1970 - 2003
- Seattle University. Athletics Dept (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access note
The collection is open for research.
Although the Jesuits of Seattle College (1898-1948) promoted athletics among their primarily male students whom, no doubt, won accolades, this eclectic collection contains little from that period. This collection of trophies and awards begins with baseball in 1947 and basketball in 1948, soon reflecting acclaim for the men's teams, including the 1950's basketball stars Johnny and Eddie O'Brien. The 1958 trip to the National Invitational Tournament (NIT) brought Seattle University basketball into the national spotlight. In the following decades, Seattle University legacy athletes rose to national prominence, including Elgin Baylor (NBA Hall of Fame), Eddie Miles, golf professional Patricia Lesser, and internationally ranked Davis Cup tennis team captain Tom Gorman. In the 1970's and 1980's following Title IX, more women athletes such as Sue Stimac impacted Seattle University women's basketball. A significant achievement in the university's athletic history was the success of the 1997 NAIA national men's soccer championship under coach Pete Fewing. Since 2010, Seattle University has competed in the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) of NCAA Division 1 basketball.
Language of Materials
This eclectic collection of trophies, awards and memorabilia recognizes Seattle University sports teams and individual athletes, both men and women, and coaching staff for achievement in various collegiate athletics events.
- Balls (object genres)
- Baylor, Elgin
- Cheerleading -- Washington (State) -- Seattle.
- Colleges and Universities
- Diving -- Washington (State) -- Seattle.
- Lesser, Patricia
- Miles, Eddie
- O'Brien, Eddie
- O'Brien, Johnny
- Placards (information artifacts)
- Seattle University--Baseball
- Seattle University--Basketball
- Seattle University--Golf
- Seattle University--Soccer
- Seattle University--Sports
- Seattle University--Swimming
- Seattle University--Track and field
- Seattle University. Athletics Dept
- Skis and skiing -- Washington (State) -- Seattle.
- Sports and Recreation
- Trophies (objects)
- Guide to the Seattle University Athletics Department Trophies, Awards, and Memorabilia
- Mary Linden Sepulveda and Jeff Winter
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Funding for preparing the finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
Part of the Seattle University, Lemieux Library and McGoldrick Learning Commons, Special Collections Repository
901 12th Avenue
Seattle WA 98122-1090 USA