Seattle University Office of the President: Louis Gaffney, SJ Records
Scope and Contents note
This collection contains the files generated and compiled by Seattle University's Office of the President during the administration of Louis Gaffney, SJ, the University's 18th president (1970-1974). The records consist of files pertaining to academic programs, campus building projects, fundraising, student and faculty issues and includes correspondence, reports, speeches, and other printed material. The collection is not comprehensive.
- Seattle University. Office of the President (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access note
This collection is open for research.
Louis Gaffney, SJ was appointed acting President of Seattle University in early 1970 after the sudden resignation of Kenneth Baker, SJ. In November 1970, Fr. Gaffney was appointed the university's 18th President. The hallmark of Fr. Gaffney's presidency was a spirit of "contagious optimism" which shored up morale during difficult financial times for the university. Gaffney took on the difficult oversight of the belt-tightening process with sound fiscal management practices. A three year Stabilization Fund Campaign was launched by A.A. Lemieux, SJ, former Seattle University President and William E. Boeing, Jr., Seattle University Trustee and Regent. By the end of Gaffney's presidency in 1974 finances had stabilized sufficiently to address the more challenging issues around enrollment and the future of some academic programs.
2 Linear Feet (2 boxes)
Language of Materials
Louis Gaffney, SJ served as the 18th President of Seattle University from 1970 until 1974. This collection contains the files generated and compiled by Seattle University's Office of the President during his administration.
- Colleges and Universities
- Education, Higher -- Washington (State) -- Seattle
- Seattle University--Buildings
- Seattle University--Faculty
- Seattle University--Presidents--20th century
- Seattle University--Records and correspondence
- Seattle University. Office of the President
- Universities and colleges -- Washington (State) -- Seattle -- Administration
- Guide to the Seattle University Office of the President: Louis Gaffney, SJ Records
- Rick Block and Mary Linden Sepulveda
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Funding for preparing the finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
Part of the Seattle University, Lemieux Library and McGoldrick Learning Commons, Special Collections Repository
901 12th Avenue
Seattle WA 98122-1090 USA